Monday, April 25, 2016

Reflection of PLNs

I actually found the RSS feeds were very helpful in not only locating articles for discussion in our class but for discussion with my colleagues at San Marcos High School as well the other education class that I am in. I subscribed to Education NPR, Discovery News, and Smarter Everyday Youtube just to name a few of my new favorite resources. I learned the most from the education section of NPR, which offers a board insight to the current issues in our education system today such as common core, funding, and privacy. One of my favorite discussions was from an article that talked about California standards for the education provided by the state based on the constitution. We had a long discussion among my peers about whether we should give our kids an education or a “quality” education. It was very insightful.
I actually started my own twitter to help me communicate with my students. I subscribed to everything related to the arts and music programs within our district. Once the entire team (45+) began to follow I was able to communicate with them without having to people up a group text. It was really great to be able to communicate with them in a public forum so that we can always be connected without overstepping the student/educator boundaries.

Classroom 2.0 with Ning was very unfamiliar to me at first. I grow very frustrated with pay for use services since I find that there are too many annoying advertisements coming about. However, I can see this becoming a great source of information for educators that may not mind the clutter or paying for services.
Pinterest was okay but I think it works best as a novelty for the board rather than a resource for a classroom.

My overall PLN experience was positive, it brought me in touch with my students as well articles that keep my on my toes with where education is turning. I feel that society is fluid and it our responsibility as educators to be fluid as well to keep up with the parents and students of today and of the future.   

No comments:

Post a Comment